The mission of the United Way of Northeastern South Dakota is to provide support for programs in the health and human service fields which reflect the needs of the area. The United Way will raise funds and establish and evaluate priorities for the distribution of the funds raised.
To achieve this mission, United Way of Northeastern South Dakota will:
- Conduct an area wide fund-raising campaign
- Provide a flexible and responsive fund distribution program to member agencies who strive to meet area needs and reflect donor's interests
- Build and maintain a collaborative partnership with member agencies so that the needs of the area may be served effectively.
PARTNERING WITH OTHERS:
United Way is committed to partnering with others in our community to make a difference.
- The National Association of Letter Carriers Food Drive - Each year United Way and the local letter carriers work together to stamp out hunger. This past year over 9,000 pounds of food was collected for the local food shelters at The Salvation Army and Northeastern Mental Health Center.
- Local Companies - Many local companies have donated items to United Way that have then been disbursed to local agencies. In the past, such items as desks, file cabinets, holiday display items, chairs, bookstands, etc. Each year, Target donates 3 decorated Christmas trees to local area non-profits. Many of these items have saved agencies from spending valuable resources on office items. They are always greatly appreciated.
DAY OF CARING EVENTS:
- The NSU Day of Champions - In April each year, NSU athletes & coaches provide a free day of labor to non-profit organizations. In the past, projects have included painting inside and outside buildings, building a outdoor sand volleyball court, landscaping, helping build homes, etc. Many of these projects that were done in one day would have taken some agencies weeks to finish.
- Local Companies - Local Companies come to United Way to find ways to help the community. In the past, 3M built a wheelchair ramp for RideLine. Also, Target has done numerous projects for non-profit organizations throughout the year. Other local companies also partner with United Way to help make a difference in their community.